This is a quick tutorial for student assistants with the task of splitting Zotero items that contain more than one article, as found in journals like Lexicographica. This involves downloading, editing, and uploading of Zotero full text attachment files.
For this task, you need:
- A text editor of your choice (on windows, don’t use microsoft “notepad”, install “notepad++” instead, a free and very good editor)
- A good PDF reader, preferably something faster than Acrobat Reader, e.g. “evince“.
- If you work on a laptop, better use a mouse instead of touchpad or touchscreen, since drag-and-drop actions in Zotero are critical, and unwanted drag-and-dropping can cause severe problems.
Two things have to be fixed:
- The Zotero item has to be duplicated, and title and author information have to be filled in manually.
- The TXT text that actually corresponds to the single item has to be isolated and attached.
See how to do it in this video: